[Swan-dev] updating reference logs [was Re: Clearing the deck for the f28 switch ...]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Fri Aug 17 20:15:02 UTC 2018

| From: Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org>

| Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 11:05:35 +0200

[catching up on old mail]

| I can imagine some inconvenience while updating outputs blindly, such as with sed.
| However, I am of the opinion do not update blindly. Only update if the test ran.

I like (judicious) global updating.  That way tests that are not
currently running are also updated.  They won't be left further and
further behind.

Lots of tests, randomly, don't run on my system (for timing reasons?).
I don't think that is a good reason for me to leave the reference logs
in an obsolete state.

Human (or at least Hugh-man) checking is actually more likely to have
little mistakes than fixing by sed.