[Swan-dev] hi resolution time in log file

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Fri Oct 27 14:36:31 UTC 2017

I noticed that the timestamp added to log files has only a 1 second
resolution; this isn't much help when multiple events get processed per
second.  The reason is a combination time() (1 second resolution) and
strftime() (doesn't do sub-second resolution anyway).  I suspect all this
pre-dates git history.

Anyway, I'm looking at an alternative.  My thought is a combination of
gettimeofday() or event_base_gettimeofday_cached() (the latter would peg
our times to when the event fired I believe which may not be such a good
idea, otoh it is cheap) and strftime() + printf().  Any thoughts.

Andrew

PS: I'm also left wondering why delta time isn't a double, would make
specifying sub-second timers a lot easier (i.e., 0.5)