[Swan-dev] tests failing due to retransmissions

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Tue Oct 10 19:18:54 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 27, 2017 at 12:38:08PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> I get a lot of them.  This isn't good or useful.
>
> I ran the following script:
>
> 	for i in testing/pluto/*/OUTPUT/*.diff ; do
> 		if [ ! -s "$i" ] ; then
> 			: no difference
> 		elif grep '^[-+][0-9]' "$i" | grep -v "retransmission" >/dev/null ; then
> 			: echo $i not just retransmission
> 		else
> 			echo $i just RETRANSMISSION
> 		fi
> 	done
>
> Today I got 55 lines listing diff files containing only retransmission
> messages.  That means 55 extra files that I have to examine
> pointlessly.
>
> What should be done?
>
> Should we calm the hair-trigger on retransmission?

I haven't figured out pattern in "retransmission *" yet.

Another line that show up in several (20+ output files) IKEv1 tests as diff
is:

"discarding duplicate packet; already STATE_MAIN_I3"

I wonder how useful is this line, in a typical user case. Why not change to
a debug line?

ipsec auto --up con <conn> output should be minimal. Is this line really
necessary here?

If we remove this line noise in ikev1 could be a bit less.  A similar line
in ikev2, is is in state.c  I see it 6-10 tests.

"discarding packet received during asynchronous work" a

-antony