[Swan-dev] Converting all test cases to not use ipsec.conf.common

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Oct 4 17:17:11 UTC 2017

| From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>

| Unless it is in the same file, it would make the test cases not usable
| as stand-alone documentation, which to me was the main reason for
| wanting the change.

That sure seems like a tail wagging the dog.  Surely the purpose of
the tests is to do testing and they are barely managing that.  We need
to bend towards making tests easy to create and maintain.

We have hundreds of tests.  We don't need hundreds of examples.

I do think that it would be nice to have examples.  Surely we do
already, in the documentation.

Having continuously tested examples would be cool.  We could create a
handful of new tests that are meant for explication.  And design them
to be clear rather than perverse (perverse is good in a test).

But be sure that an example isn't too obfuscated by being situated in
our test harness.

If we do this, the example tests ought to have names that distinguish
and highlight them (eg. example-*).  This might best be done by
creating a separate directory (or directories) for examples.

If having flat conf files makes the tests easier for testing purposes,
then go for it.  I see flat as better than ill-disciplined also=.  But
I imagine that we can develop better conventions than flat.

"include" is also a useful feature.  It should be part of this
discussion.