[Swan-dev] Converting all test cases to not use ipsec.conf.common

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue Oct 3 02:10:03 UTC 2017

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | We have talked about this in the past, but before I go ahead, I wanted
> | to ask if anyone objects to the test cases being converted to standalone
> | configuration files that no longer use or need ipsec.conf.common.
>
> | The disadvantage is that any changes that upto now could be made in an
> | also= conn that is included would effect all the conns that use it.
>
> This is a very late comment.  Sorry. [I deleted all my excuses.]
>
> It is also theoretical.  I don't often look at the details of the test
> configurations.
>
> I think that saying something once, in one place, is a lot better than
> smearing it over a lot of locations.  That means that any bug fix or
> change will be consistently applied.

[ remainder of arguming about good also= discipline ]

I think you are missing the point. The idea is that by NOT using any
also= statements, all test cases become defacto documentation/examples we
can point to. Right now, the test cases cannot be used as documentation
because endusers cannot follow the maze of also's to extract a meaningful
configuration example.

We are fully aware that the cost of giving the user this documentation,
is more work for us when something changes in our test harnass.

The assumption is that we are willing to pay that price to help the
user.

Note, Antony pointed out there are still bugs in readwriteconf, so those
would need to be fixed first before we can convert.