[Swan-dev] GSoc Student Applying

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Mar 13 11:29:30 UTC 2017

On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Neil Yale wrote:

> Nǐmen hǎo, wǒ shì Yale. Hěn bàoqiàn xiànzài cái gěi nǐmen fāchū zhè fēng yóujiàn. Zhīqián cānjiāguò de péngyǒu gàosu wǒ, cānjiā GSOC zuìdà de shōuhuò jiùshì
> míngbáile kāiyuán de yìyì. Yīzhí yǐlái wǒ yīzhí yòngzhe kāiyuán de xiàngmù, zhǐ zhī suǒqǔ, bù zhīdào gòngxiàn. Xiànzài, yǒule GSOC de huódòng de tuīdòng xià,
> wǒ xīwàng zìjǐ nénggòu tōngguò GSOC zhèngshì cānyù kāiyuán, jíshǐ zài GSOC jiéshù zhīhòu yě néng jìxù wéi kāiyuán shèqū zuò chū zìjǐ de gòngxiàn.

We won't be able to read non-english. I'm sorry for that.

I'll try to respond to what looks like a machine translation....

> 1. Are you listing the project is not said by the mentor to provide a general approach and then we go to achieve, or let us to achieve their own. If it is
> their own proposal that they need to contact the potential mentor to discuss the feasibility of such things?

If you have an iea that is not on the ideas/projects page, please email
gsoc at libreswan.org to explain it. All our mentors are on that list and
they will get back to you.

> 2. Can you choose this event by your decision or Google?
> 3. If you choose to provide the subject, then the mentor to choose what is the standard?
> 4. The next time we should not go directly to the corresponding mentor?

I don't really understand these questions. Please refer to Google's GSOC
pages for more details on the project.

> I am from China, so and the United States (most organizations should all be in the United States) have the time difference, may not even reply, which is why I
> like to use the mailbox and do not like to use IRC (in fact the most important thing is our school after 23.00 Stop network)

timezones should not be a problem. A lot of communication happens via
email and bugtracker items.