[Swan-dev] [libreswan RFC 2/3] pluto, whack: Add nic-offload 'auto' mode

Ilan Tayari ilant at mellanox.com
Mon Jul 31 07:52:41 UTC 2017

Hugh, can you comment on this?

> For the second and the third patch here is my suggestion.
>
> no|yes|auto is probably better keywords in the libreswan context.
> Libreswan do not use first letter capitalizing as you proposed.

Sure, no problem, I'll change in v2

> I am not sure about making auto default. Paul would ethtool detection work
> on RHEL 6.x?  Ilan have tested this on RHEL/CentOS 6.x, without a Mellanox
> NIC?

It's designed to be compatible anywhere ethtool -k works.
This was introduced around kernel 2.6.38, circa 2011

On a machine with older kernel (prior to 4.11), it detects lack of the capability.
On machine with newer kernel, but incapable NIC, it also detects lack of the capability.

In both cases, 'auto' behaves as 'no'

Paul, can you comment on this behavior?

Ilan.