[Swan-dev] CAVP testing of libreswan build on debian

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Sat Feb 4 01:24:24 UTC 2017

On Fri 2017-02-03 19:48:55 -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
>> 18:46 < dkg> which means i'd need to review their licensing :/
>>
>> I don't see any licensing info immediately available in them either :(
>
> It is published by the US Government, if that helps.
>
> http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cavp/

Right, i think that makes them public domain, though explicit
confirmation would be great.

> It states at:
>
> http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/STM/cavp/key-derivation.html#kbkdfvs
>
>  	Test Vectors
>
>  	Use of these test vectors does not replace validation obtained through
>  	the CAVP.
>
>  	The test vectors linked below can be used to informally verify the
>  	correctness of the KBKDF algorithm listed above.
>
>  	See the KBKDFVS document for an explanation of the files.
>
> Unfortunately, there is no clear mention on the NIST website either
> what the license of these files are. Apostol, can you clarify this?

I'm also not sure how to think about the "preferred form of
modification" for these, which is something Debian tends to care about,
but i would think mainly static test vectors should be understood as
useful data in their own right.

At least one of the files i've looked at contains a comment in the
header that says "generated" -- but it's not clear what generated them.

Any info on that?

Regards,

    --dkg