[Swan-dev] ipsecme-split-dns

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Dec 13 16:47:03 UTC 2017

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017, Antony Antony wrote:

> I wonder why not revert the accident first? and comeback when you mean to.
> that is my preference. Then there is a clear path, accident revert!

Can you undo a merge commit atomically? the man page isn't looking
promising:

        -m parent-number, --mainline parent-number
            Usually you cannot revert a merge because you do not know which
            side of the merge should be considered the mainline. This option
            specifies the parent number (starting from 1) of the mainline and
            allows revert to reverse the change relative to the specified
            parent.

            Reverting a merge commit declares that you will never want the tree
            changes brought in by the merge. As a result, later merges will
            only bring in tree changes introduced by commits that are not
            ancestors of the previously reverted merge. This may or may not be
            what you want.

            See the revert-a-faulty-merge How-To[1] for more details.

And /usr/share/doc/git-1.8.3.1/howto/revert-a-faulty-merge.txt makes it
look even less of a good idea to revert the merge?