[Swan-dev] build dependency for version.c is broken ccd2cf87 ?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 14:34:27 UTC 2017

Yes and no - there are two things at play:

- the obvious problem is that the generated file version.c shouldn't
even be in the source tree

While the commits:

commit dc49a97017876d89d9cb144298c971a7f74f1073
Date:   Thu Apr 13 15:23:28 2017 -0400

    building: switch pluto to using mk/program.mk

    Still has hack to include mk/config.mk

    Old pluto Makefile's clean target didn't delete all .o files
    leading to some strange behaviour.

commit ccd2cf870ea0628e3689321a8f5564487577193b
Date:   Thu Apr 13 14:31:38 2017 -0400

    build: switch the libswan.a build to using mk/library.mk

    Fixes a dependency regression with ike_alg_serpent.c et.al.

    Still has a config.mk hack.

fixed the reason behind the recent ike_alg_ripemd.o missing breakage -
"make clean" in programs/pluto/ and lib/libswan/ didn't do a proper
job and and could leave old ike_alg_ripemd.o files behind (see also
00de09c5f3af73b2a1ccbc9708834b81348c14a4 and
85ec9e62498ac1f32e741c5a002e55801756bf14) - they inadvertently
resulted in the generated file "version.c" ending up in the source
tree (I'll blame VPATH :-^).  Restoring the files location and
ensuring it is deleted will restore the old behaviour.

- version.c, regardless of location, does not have any dependencies

This was discussed here
https://lists.libreswan.org/pipermail/swan-dev/2016-August/001609.html