[Swan-dev] should final.sh shut down pluto?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Jun 27 07:56:00 UTC 2016

On Sun, 26 Jun 2016, Andrew Cagney wrote:

>> - maybe shutdown was performed by final.sh (I don't know)
>
> You shouldn't need to know.
>
> However to be specific, final.sh scripts sometimes do the following:
> - shutdown pluto
> - check for core files and save them
> but some skip one or both steps.  Regardless, it shouldn't matter.

I think originally, the core files were moved by something else and
the line in final.sh was only added to ensure the console output
would DIFF if a core happened. I think we should just find the
cores outside of final.sh and note it seperately.

> To me the "must have" is consistent default behaviour whether an
> individual or group of tests.  For instance:
>
> ./testing/utils/kvmrunner.py testing/pluto
> ./testing/utils/kvmrunner.py testing/pluto/basic-pluto-01
> ./testing/utils/kvmrunner.py testing/pluto/basic-pluto-*
>
> should all run the tests the same way.

Sure.

>> | We have a bunch of tests running shutdown
>> | but don't for the majority of tests. I think that's fine.
>>
>> I don't.  The reason is that each test tests different paths through the
>> system and each might cause different problems that linger undetected
>> until shutdown.
>>
>> I come to that conclusion honestly: I don't have a core dump for any of
>> these particular assertion failures.  But I might be mis-diagnosing.
>>
>> There is a chance that kvmrunner.py needs some added code to make me
>> happy.  I know that it isn't an advertised component of our test system.
>> Do you see core dumps for these assertion failures?
>
> So far the best solution I've seen involves always shutting down pluto
> _before_ shutting down the entire system (if systemd is causing pluto
> to crash we've another problem).  Perhaps final.sh should be required
> to run a new script "swan-destroy", or perhaps that should be run
> outside of the *.sh scripts.

A swan-destroy type shutdown works for me. What I want to avoid is
triggering all tests as failures when we have a leak-detective report
in shutdown.