[Swan-dev] should final.sh shut down pluto?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jun 26 13:40:14 UTC 2016

| From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>

| > On Jun 26, 2016, at 03:49, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
| >
| > I'm quite unhappy about uncaptured core files.  At the moment, I'm
| > not willing to say what a good solution would be.
|
| That's not quite was it is.

I'm not sure what you mean by that sentence.

| Not all tests perform a shutdown and so some
| errors in a shutdown that could cause a core would theoretically not be
| detected". Any core files made are always detected.

I don't know what you are claiming.

When I ran all the tests Friday morning (using kvmrunner.py), several
assertion failures showed up but no core files were preserved.  All
failures were of the same assertion (which we know about).

I'm a dumb user.  I don't know why this happened.

But I'll make a sequence of guesses:
- the assertion failed during shutdown of Pluto
- maybe shutdown was performed by final.sh (I don't know)
- the pluto log file captured the ASSERT failure
- the core file doesn't get captured in this case.

| As antony said, it is VERY useful to run a single test and then ssh in
| while the tunnel is still up.

Yes.  So maybe we need to cleanly separate shutdown into a separate step
and have the script-runner capable of stopping at any designated step.
For an example of this kind of control, look at rpmbuild's -b parameter.

| We have a bunch of tests running shutdown
| but don't for the majority of tests. I think that's fine.

I don't.  The reason is that each test tests different paths through the
system and each might cause different problems that linger undetected
until shutdown.

I come to that conclusion honestly: I don't have a core dump for any of
these particular assertion failures.  But I might be mis-diagnosing.

There is a chance that kvmrunner.py needs some added code to make me
happy.  I know that it isn't an advertised component of our test system.
Do you see core dumps for these assertion failures?