[Swan-dev] fixing confusing message

Tuomo Soini tis at foobar.fi
Mon Jul 11 07:16:17 UTC 2016

On Mon, 11 Jul 2016 02:31:52 -0400 (EDT)
"D. Hugh Redelmeier" <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:

> I'm looking at ikev2-18-x509-alias/OUTPUT/east.pluto.log because it
> has
>
> EXPECTATION FAILED at /source/programs/pluto/initiate.c:1450:
> c->host_pair != NULL
>

> I see a preceding diagnostic that looks funny:
>
>   failed to convert '192.1.2.23' at load time: does not look numeric
> and name lookup failed (no validation performed)
>
> It sure does look numeric to me.  But the issue is that an IPv6
> address is required.
>
> I've been hacking on the code so that this message is now:
>
>   failed to convert '192.1.2.23' at load time: not numeric IPv6
> address and name lookup failed (no validation performed) (I'll try to
> remember to fix the grammar.)
>
> - the code is tricky and crucial so I'm going to test before I commit
>   (imagine that!)
>
> - this message implies a configuration error in the test.
>
> - PLEASE DON'T FIX the configuration error yet.  I want to still be
> able to provoke the EXPECTATION FAILED.

There is no configuration error. Config is totally ok. If we get
expectation failed we have a real issue in code. We should know that we
have ipv4 address instead of ipv6 address and skip silently.

This config is about multiple ipv4 networks and one ipv6 network over
ipv4 network.

--
Tuomo Soini <tis at foobar.fi>
Foobar Linux services