[Swan-dev] what is swan-transmogrify doing?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 22:05:25 UTC 2016

> So, because rc.local is run really late, the VMs:
>
> - bring up the network
> - shutdown the network
> - fiddle
> - bring up the network again

FYI, this:

+ ./ifup eth0 boot
Determining if ip address 192.1.2.129 is already in use for device eth0...
Determining if ip address 192.1.2.130 is already in use for device eth0...
Determining if ip address 192.1.2.63 is already in use for device eth0...
Determining if ip address 192.1.2.30 is already in use for device eth0...
Determining if ip address 1.2.3.4 is already in use for device eth0...
Determining if ip address 192.1.4.254 is already in use for device eth0...

took 30-40 seconds for some reason.  Running it twice of course doubled it.

according to www.singlerack.com/rhelcentos-6-ip-address-is-already-in-use-for-device-eth0/
the fix is to add:

  ARPCHECK=no

Looking at old logs, NIC has always been slow ~minute to boot (vs 30
seconds for others).  Perhaps the issue has, in part, been hidden by
the testsuite booting all the machines in parallel.