[Swan-dev] [Swan-commit] Changes to ref refs/heads/master

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 18:46:36 UTC 2016

On 29 February 2016 at 10:32, Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Feb 2016, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>> On 28 February 2016 at 18:39, Paul Wouters <paul at vault.libreswan.fi>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> New commits:
>>> commit 690fc62ba42febcb5b7c7040b6027756fe3c318f
>>> Author: Paul Wouters <pwouters at redhat.com>
>>> Date:   Sun Feb 28 18:39:05 2016 -0500
>>>
>>>     testing: Added basic-pluto-00 which runs the lib/libswan tests
>>

>> Something on my build todo list is to try convincing everyone that
>> libswan should be abandoned; instead build: libpluto.a in
>> programs/pluto and link whack, cavp, pluto, and the above tests
>> against that.  I guess this is as good a trigger as any for that
>> discussion :-)
>>
>> It's not that I've something against libraries, just that here, the
>> effort seems to have stalled so badly and for so long that it now just
>> creates confusion.  If a library or libraries is really desirable then
>> first straighten out pluto.
>

> How is that different, apart from the directory location?

Two existing problems get fixed:

- cavp is built using a hard-wired link line containing an arbitrary
chunk of pluto, some of which probably isn't or shouldn't be needed;
the correct fix is to link both cavp and pluto against an archive and
let the linker deal with this

- alg_info's code is split between pluto and libswan; I get the
feeling that this occurred because logging never got abstracted

- having all the code in one directory will make it easier to
re-structure - sort out the structure and then split off libraries
(not the reverse as was done here)

> If we would redo things, I'd like to create a shared library that is an
> API to pluto that other software could use directly, instead of everyone
> writing their own whacking wrappers.

Think of this as a self contained and achievable step along such a path.

BTW, based on this commit:

commit 5a0626517900ae0e16e17c7a1d06b7ecf73e68d5
Author: Michael Richardson <mcr at marajade.sandelman.ca>
Date:   Thu Dec 8 17:15:29 2005 -0500

    many files were moved from programs/pluto to lib/libopenswan such
that they could be
    compiled and linked against other utilities. The specific goal is
to make the
    ipsec.secrets parsing available to showhostkey.
    Likely many files in lib/libopenswan will be refactored some more,
and some will
    move into libcrypto (md5/md2/sha/rsa).
    This code has been verified against basic-pluto-01, x509-pluto-01.
    psk-pluto-01 fails due to a failure to find the right secret. This
will be further
    debugged with a unit test case.

"libswan"'s been a [stalled] work-in-progress for some 10 years now.

On the other hand, we can continue to ignore this :-)

Andrew