[Swan-dev] should final.sh shut down pluto?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 20:50:01 UTC 2016

While this question is kind of philosophical, there's a real problem behind it.

I've noticed that when running a postmortem on a test run I'm finding
assertion failures:

testing/pluto/newoe-05-hold-pass failed road:ASSERTION
testing/pluto/newoe-11-failike failed road:ASSERTION
testing/pluto/newoe-18-clear-poc failed east:ASSERTION
testing/pluto/newoe-18-clear-private failed east:ASSERTION

yet the result files seemed ok.  For swantest, if you happen to be
watching the console carefully you will see:

sanitizer output road Consoleoutput matched
east Consoleoutput matched
result newoe-05-hold-pass passed
copying results
grep 'ASSERTION FAILED'
/home/cagney/libreswan/testdir/testing/pluto/newoe-05-hold-pass/OUTPUT/road.pluto.log
"private-or-clear#7.0.0.0/8" #11: ASSERTION FAILED at
/source/testdir/programs/pluto/kernel.c:3413: LHAS(LELEM(CK_PERMANENT)
| LELEM(CK_INSTANCE), c->kind)

but if you're off doing other things you'll miss this :-(  If you run
just one test in isolation then even the above doesn't appear.

The problem is that pluto crashes while the VM is being shutdown and
that is well after the point where final.sh (which tries to capture
core files) has been run.

So, should final.sh be responsible for ensuring that pluto shutdown cleanly?