[Swan-dev] what should "make ; sudo make install" do (again)

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed May 13 04:14:51 EEST 2015

On Tue, 12 May 2015, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> Effectively "programs" and "all" are synonyms.

which is fine with me.

> This means we're going to have to find a new target name for just build programs/executable.  Candidates I've seen so far are:
>   "make all-programs install-programs"
>   "make programs-only install-programs"
>   "make exec install-exec" ("install-exec" comes from automake)
> preferences, or better suggestions :-)
>
> I'll need to make both these changes simultaneously as otherwise "make kvm-update" on VMs no xmlto will break.

This is tricky, as we need a target that builds only "programs" but
cannot be called "programs". I guess "make programs-only". Ideally,
"make install" would figure out if we had ran "make programs" or
"make programs-only" but I guess that's not the easiest. So I'm ok
with "make install-programs".

> Now, the follow-on question is, what should "make ; sudo make install" do?  Typical behaviour, whether we like it or not, is:
>
>    make
>         -> builds everything, alias for "make all"
>
>    sudo make install
>         -> installs everything built above
>
> with libreswan, its the same but different:
>
>     make
>          -> prints a message telling to you run something else

We should keep that as long as we support KLIPS and we have "make
programs" and "make module".

>     sudo make install
>          -> since the above did nothing, build/install everything (except modules) as root

can this target just fail if no "make programs" or "make programs-only"
was called?

> Probably not exactly what was intended.  But, as also shown on IRC, it is assumed to work.

Really? People expect "make install" to work?

> Is it time to change "make" to build everything by default?

Then we lose the screen to help them... I think I like that screen.