[Swan-dev] always generating the man page

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue May 12 01:21:11 EEST 2015

| From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>

| On Mon, 11 May 2015, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
|
| > Right.  Simplest solution that kind of works:  build those manpages,
| > but don't install them.  Why build them?  Because they are hard to
| > read otherwise.  This wasn't true in Henry's day (because we wrote
| > directly in *roff).
|
| Personally, I find XML much more readable than ROFF :P

You can hand the man(1) command the pathname to the *roff file and it
will format it to display it.  So the makefile would not have to do
anything.  But with XML, that isn't the case.

I think that the build process might customize some paths shown in man
pages.  If so, that would be something not be handled by the man command.
Likely not a serious problem.