[Swan-dev] always generating the man page

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon May 11 18:30:33 EEST 2015

On Fri, May 08, 2015 at 08:51:05PM -0400, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> SCCS and RCS had ways of branding a version or date into the text of a
> file when it was checked in.  That was good because it reflected when
> a change happened.

Also meant a diff could not be applied on top of another version
trivially.  Having your version control system modify your code is awful.
It was a terrible misfeature.

Besides you might fix a typo and check it in, which doesn't mean you
updated the content to have coverage of new features, so such a date
would still potentially be very wrong.

> Does GIT have anything like that?  I'd guess that git hooks could do
> the job, but I don't know how easily or well.

Fortunately it does not as far as I know.

--
Len Sorensen