[Swan-dev] always generating the man page

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri May 8 01:00:03 EEST 2015

On Thu, 7 May 2015, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>> It would be nice if we could either prevent/strip out the dates from the
>> generated man pages, or possibly use a date limited to the year and
>> month.
>
> So you will never be bored on new years eve?

Well, if we want to indicate to the users roughly how (un)dated the man
page is, we have to put something there. I realise my proposal would
still be able to trigger a mismatch 12 times a year around midnight.

But the only alternative is to completely leave out a date, and then the
user has no idea if the man page is a decade outdated or not.

Of course, if we ship and _not_ regenerate man pages, this problem goes
away. But then when a patch introduces a new option, we have to not
forget to regenerate the man page, and of course we will also have the
date issue again.