[Swan-dev] Throw the -Werror switch - 11th March

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:12:51 EET 2015

On 5 March 2015 at 11:46, Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 04, 2015 at 05:10:37PM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > I think it is time to throw the -Werror switch.  So how about sometime
> > on/after 11th March (that's a week, everything on the internet takes a
> > week)?
>
> as long as there is one place to turn it off locally, it sounds good me.
>

> > If for some reason you don't want -Werror then add:
> >
> >   WERROR_CFLAGS=
> >
> > to your Makefile.inc.local.  If for some reason you don't want the actual
> > warnings then also add:
> >
> >    WARNING_CFLAGS=
> >
> > (both of these work now)
>
> does WARNING_CFLAGS= also work in mk/local.mk? what is the heirarchy of
> make files?
> What is prefered way mk/local.mk or Makefile.inc.local ? I know we are
> trying to be backword compitable. If I don't know what is the prefered way
> I could stuck in old universe.

Put any overrides in Makefile.inc.local.  If you feel the desire to change
anything mk/*.mk directly, seek professional advice (or report a bug) :-)

mk/local.mk is a hack, per:
# Currently both mk/dirs.mk and Makefile.inc need to see the local
# definitions in Makefile.inc.local but Makefile.inc can't (yet)
# assume dirs.mk has been included.  This wrapper prevents multiple
# includes.

> The old WERROR variable may continue to work for a while (cleaning up
> > CFLAGS in general will eventually result in its loss).
>
> Along these lines I have a request. I  want to turn off "-O2" from one
> place, for programs, libs
> I beleive in the past I had to edit multiple Makefiles. Disabling -O2 is
> useful in combination with -g.

I could add DEBUG_CFLAGS = -g and O_CFLAGS = -O2.  Unfortunately, per an
earlier post, we've no consistency with what flags get passed to CC so as
you've noticed it doesn't always work.

Somewhere in my queue.