[Swan-dev] [Swan-commit] Changes to ref refs/heads/master

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Mar 2 04:52:03 EET 2015

On Wed, 25 Feb 2015, Andrew Cagney wrote:

>> Does this leave Makefile.inc.local intact in the root dir? Those are used by
>> people to override the default settings. This also requires a documentation
>> update and an update to our release scripts :P
>
> That includes me.  Makefile.inc.local continues to be the way to
> override Makefile varibles.  I don't think that will ever change.
> (the way this build system overrides make variables is decidedly
> non-traditional, I get to live with that).

I've done some testing and it seems to work perfectly now. Thanks for
doing the cleanup work on our Makefile!

>> I kinda prefer Makefile.{ver|inc|inc.local} to be in the root dir. These
>> have user servicable parts inside.
>
> Can you be specific?  If there's something that can't be done with
> Makefile.inc.local then we've a bug.  Those files, what ever the
> location, really should be read-only.

Thinking about it again, it's fine. As long as we update the reference
in the top level Makefile to explain mk/config.mk and mk/local.mk

The release script sets Makefile.ver to the proper version number. I
guess no one but scripts need to know about this, so the location
could actually also remain in mk/version.mk