[Swan-dev] time to delete old dist_certs shell script (attempt #2)?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 21:04:45 EEST 2015

On 24 June 2015 at 11:34, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com>
>
> | This doesn't seem like a reason for retaining the old shell scripts -
> | they are so far behind that they don't even generate all the required
> | keys.  BTW, best place to run dist_certs.py is on one of the test VMs
> | (see "make kvm-keys"), and not on a host.  Provided the VM is
> | relatively recent all the necessary dependencies will have been
> | installed for you.
>
> I take it that you've implemented this
> a31d60e504dc55214914738007ff62336a7f13aa.

along with a plithera of changes to testing/libvirt

> Do you have a cheat-sheet of how we should make our old test setups
> work again?  Or maybe they already work.  I haven't tried.  I'd not
> waste time experimenting with the test setups.

It didn't touch the existing stuff.  That's deliberate -
testing/pluto/Makefile contains some older code for generating
certificates (admittedly using the host), push-back led to it being
disabled.  Discussion should be in the archives.  Something to revisit
later.

Yes, someone with write access to the web-docs should update them to
mention this as an option :-)

> Why did you pick "east" as the one to do the work on?

It's completely arbitrary.  The VMs are identical.

Perhaps I noticed that  "make check UPDATE=1" used east for some things?
Perhaps I noticed that east is always used for testing, kvmsh.py was
slightly faster?
Perhaps I tossed a coin?

The only slightly interesting thing here is that kvmsh.py requires an
explicit DOMAIN parameter making my arbitrary choice obvious :-)

> In our wiki page about testing, at least sometimes "west" is the one
> we do work on.  I don't know why that one was chosen either.
>
> It seems to me that an argument can be made that we make only one of
> the VMs heavy enough to do all these task.  On the other hand, maybe
> making them different is a mistake.

The VMs get built as follows:

- fedorabase gets created with everything on it
- all the tests get cloned from fedorabase
- fedorabase gets deleted

So the short answer is "because it works" :-)

(Now if only someone could explain why fedorabase gets deleted :-)