[Swan-dev] testing: confused by OUTPUT directory fate

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sat Jul 25 17:43:02 EEST 2015

| From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com>

| Having played with this a little, I've concluded that the test runner
| should look at OUTPUT and not .../results when deciding if a test
| should be run; and probably only delete OUTPUT when UPDATE=1
|
| It's much clearer.

I don't know what it is doing now (hence my long message).  What you
suggest would be kind of obvious to the user and simple to understand.
(That's good.)

Perhaps there is a simple and compelling description of what it is
doing now but I haven't been able to infer it.  (That's bad.)

While we're on this topic, I will re-iterate that UPDATE=1 seems like
a bad control and not in the spirit of make.  There should be
different targets:
	check
	check-resume
That's a lot clearer.  And a LOT better than the scripts assuming
something based on whether the date rolled!  And if I've got the
description of the existing system wrong, it proves my point that it
isn't simple and obvious.

My current understanding is in the realm of superstition.  Not good.