[Swan-dev] Relative build paths

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Jan 28 23:33:10 EET 2015

| From: Antony Antony <antony at phenome.org>

| Relative path not a bad idea. If it is relative to 'src top' dir,
| the experience could be better. However, if it is relative to
| OBJ.linux.x86_64/programs/pluto it is a pain. The paths look like
| ../../../programs/pluto/plutomain.c.

I think that I agree.  The selfish reason is the way I work.  I
develop using the top of the source directory as my current directory.
After all, that's where I need to run make from.

I use a JOVE command called compile-it to run make.  When compiler
diagnostis appear, JOVE takes me to the scene of each crime.  It can
use absolute paths or it can use ones relative to the current
directory (== top source directory).  A path relative to some other directory
hamstrings it and me.