[Swan-dev] libevent branch's struct pluto_event, struct p_event, struct event

Antony Antony antony at phenome.org
Mon Jan 26 20:29:36 EET 2015

On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 01:02:11PM -0500, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> It is confusing to have so many similarly named things.
>
> struct event comes from libevent.  That's a given.
>
> struct pluto_event is really about timed events, I think.  Perhaps it
> should be renamed to reflect that.  Perhaps "struct timed_event" would be
> clearer.
>
> It has a field called "ev_time".  Unfortunately, its resolution is to the
> second while timed events now have a resolution of a millisecond
> (currently).  That seems like a confusing loss of information.  I
> recommend that the type of ev_time be updated.
>
> I'm not sure what struct p_event is for.  Maybe some comments would help.
> I admit to being too lazy.

Thanks for your comment, however, please keep in mind this is transistion.
you are commenting about sausage while it is being made:)

Two line summary there was a name collision on "struct event" between libevent and pluto.
The migration is incomplete. pluto_event is the envisioned one. Other names are welcome.
p_event is temp one.

Another thought is if we can get rid of ev_time libevent "struct event" is enough. Libevent deal with timeval. Oce we have timeval conversion/arithmetic functions in pluto I am hopping to get rid of ev_time. I am not sure deltaX functions simplifications or complications. Still eying on float.

-antony