[Swan-dev] shannon_entropy [was Re: ikev2-14-missing-ke test failure]

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jan 4 06:50:07 EET 2015

| From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>

| Since we cannot force people to stop using IKEv1 Aggressive Mode, we can
| at least force them to use stronger passwords.

If a user isn't allowed to choose a secure protocol, that indicates
some other authority is dictating terms.  Perhaps that authority also
dictates a password that would not pass our strength check.

(I frequently get infuriated by web sites that require a password but
forbid the one I choose, weakening all passwords and effectively
directing me to weaken mine.)