[Swan-dev] missing bison masked by new Makefiles?

Andrew Cagney andrew.cagney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 18:54:50 EET 2015

On 18 February 2015 at 15:32, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> | From: Andrew Cagney <andrew.cagney at gmail.com>
>
> |   I've since
> | tweaked it to do an explicit "set -e" (a GNU Make feature is to not
> | invoke /bin/sh with "-e").
>
> In general, I'm a big fan of "set -eu" in scripts.  If I were not
> lazy, I'd have tried harder to implement that.
>
> Any reason not to use "set -eu" instead of "set -e"?

Mostly habit.

> I admit that shell scripts generated by make rarely need -u since it
> is so hard to get a shell variable reference past make.

don't forget to combine it with sed and the EOL pattern

> On a related topic, GNU Make has --warn-undefined-variables.  I don't
> know how much pain it would be to adopt that but it would surely
> result in more robust makefiles.  (We discussed this slightly on this list
> on Jan 21.)

I'll add that to my queue; given it looks like (no particular order):

# Eliminate USE_OBJDIR
# Fix srcdir/
# Provide autoconf like variables
# move existing Makefile.dirs to mk/dirs.mk
# add mk/local.mk
# add mk/objdir.mk
# re-write mk/dirs.mk
# Add mk/subdirs.mk to easy cases
# Add mk/depend.mk to pluto
move Makefile.library to mk/library.mk
move Makefile.programs to mk/programs.mk
move Makefile.manpage to mk/manpage.mk
depend.mk to another directory
Free up CFLAGS, like autoconf/automake?
fix arm