[Swan-dev] makefile breakage #3 can the kernel patch targets be deleted

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Wed Feb 18 20:07:43 EET 2015

On Wed, 18 Feb 2015, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> The top-level make file is cluttered targets that involve the kernel.
> I'm guessing that they are for patching/fixing old stuff, and am
> hoping that they no longer apply?
>
> I'd like to offer the following options:
>
> - delete everything?  I'm willing to take this on :-)
>
> or:
>
> - move those targets to the kernel directory so they need to be run
> from there; I'll take this on provided there is zero expectation that
> the result works

I assume you are referring to the kernel patching parts, not the "make
module" part? The "make module" part cannot be broken.

It would be nice if "make kpatch" still works. I'm personally less
interested in any unapply targets, as the kpatch target creates a
libreswan.patch in the kernel top level directory that can be used
to unpatch.

kernel patching now is actually broken for 3.x kernels. You have
to issue "make kernelpatch3.5" for any 3.x kernel version - which
then maps back to our "patch26" targets (because 2.6.x == 3.x and
different only from 2.4.x kernel build methods)

I'm fine with moving the kpatch stuff into linux/net/ipsec although
would be happier if we could still have make kpatch in our top
level makefile descent into the linux/net/ directory.

We do need to keep a working make kpatch for 2.4 and 2.6/3 kernels.

Any targets related to sarefpatch of nattpatch can be removed. We have
already switched to supplying those patches in the toplevel
patches/kernel/ directory because maintaining working targets for
such a variety of kernels had become impossible anyways.