[Swan-dev] test caes as documentation versus ipsec.conf.common ease of use

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Thu Feb 5 10:47:53 EET 2015

| From: Paul Wouters <paul at nohats.ca>
|
| Antony brought up a while ago that due to our use of ipsec.conf.common,
| the test cases do not work very well as documentation. It would be much
| better to write out the full configurations so people can read them and
| understand them better.

I don't think that the primary purpose of our myriad test cases is
as examples for users.  In fact, many tests ought to be very bad
examples.

Perhaps a subset of instructive examples could become a few of our
test cases.  In fact that's a good idea: it means that the examples are
regularly tested.

I don't like cloned text.  It means that any change must be repeated
many times.  And of course that just doesn't happen reliably.  So we
get divergence.

Modularity needs to be designed and then evolve.  Perhaps the existing
modularity is not as good as it should be.  I'm not saying that there
isn't room for improvement.  But cloning sounds like the wrong way.