[Swan-dev] problems with Libreswan 3.15 build for Linux 3.14

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Dec 24 03:55:18 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Neal P. Murphy wrote:

[catching up on old email]

> [aside]
> Where in the docs are all of the mandatory and optional dependencies specified? Also, http://libreswan.googlecode.com/git/README (which may be old/dead), says:

It's from 2013. Yeah it is old. don't read that :)

> test -r ../../OBJ.linux.i386/programs/proc/ipsec_trap_sendcount.5
> make[3]: *** [ipsec_version.5] Error 1

That is probably a very old error too.

> /build/sources/openswan/libreswan-3.15/programs/pluto/connections.h:132:78: fatal error: security/pam_appl.h: No such file or directory

You are missing the pam-devel package.

> This seems to be trying to use pam, which smoothwall doesn't use.

Then you can add USE_XAUTHPAM=false to your build line.

> I assume these vars have all been replaced with stuff in Makefile.inc (and files in mk/). IIUC, I can create Makefile.inc.local for all of the smoothwall-specific vars, locations and needs. But what exactly do I put in there? Copy Makefile.inc, change it as desired, and delete the rest? Add selected stuff from files in mk/?

Put in only things that you want to be overridden. So you could put only
USE_XAUTHPAM=false and DESTDIR=someting in there.

> For Libreswan, I've reduced the command to:
> ----
>        @$(MAKE) $(JOBS) -C $(COMPILE_DIR) V=1 WERROR_CFLAGS="" KERNELSRC=$(KNL_SRC) base    # or programs

You should not need to edit the Makefiles themselves :P

> So far, the build picks up CFLAGS, so it builds for generic i586 as desired. WERROR_CFLAGS fixes a problem that I think is fixed in 3.16. Once I get the build to finish, I'll be able to see what else needs to be adjusted/tweaked.
>
> I hope the 64-bit build will 'just work' once I get the 32-bit build going.

It all should. I've build natively on a lot of architectures: x86_64,
i686, ppc, ppc64, ppc64le, s390, s390x, aarch64.