[Swan-dev] [IPsec] CORRECTED Protocol Action: 'IKEv2 Fragmentation' to Proposed Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-fragmentation-10.txt) (fwd)

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Thu Sep 4 18:25:30 EEST 2014

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2014 11:10:10
From: The IESG <iesg-secretary at ietf.org>
     ipsecme chair <ipsecme-chairs at tools.ietf.org>,
     RFC Editor <rfc-editor at rfc-editor.org>
To: IETF-Announce <ietf-announce at ietf.org>
Subject: [IPsec] CORRECTED Protocol Action: 'IKEv2 Fragmentation' to Proposed
     Standard (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-fragmentation-10.txt)

The IESG has approved the following document:
- 'IKEv2 Fragmentation'
   (draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-fragmentation-10.txt) as Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the IP Security Maintenance and
Extensions Working Group.

The IESG contact persons are Kathleen Moriarty and Stephen Farrell.

A URL of this Internet Draft is:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ipsecme-ikev2-fragmentation/

Technical Summary

     This document describes a method to avoid IP fragmentation in large
     IKEv2 messages. It shows how to perform fragmentation in IKEv2
     itself, replacing them by series of smaller messages.
     This allows IKEv2 messages to traverse network devices that don't
     allow IP fragments to pass through.

     Given that this is a protocol extension, it is meant to be a
     Proposed Standard.

Working Group Summary

     Was there anything in the WG process that is worth noting?

     The WG discussion of the document was fairly good, with about
     average participation (which for the IPsecME WG means "the chairs
     had to beg a bit for more participants, but we then got them"). We
     also got a "TSVDIR-ish review" of the draft, which got good
     discussion on the list. There was a reasonable amount of give-and-
     take, and the WG Last Call was uncontentious. A significant point
     was brought up during IETF Last Call, and was added to the Security
     Considerations as a result of the SecDir review.

     A few issues came up during the first IESG review.  Another series
     of edits occurred along with detailed reviews by a couple of area
     experts.  The edited draft went back through WG last call and is
     ready for IESG review again.

Document Quality

   The draft had working group consensus and there is one implementation
   to date.

   The WG discussion of the document was fairly good, with about average
   participation (which for the IPsecME WG means "the chairs had to beg a
   bit for more participants, but we then got them"). We also got a
   "TSVDIR-ish review" of the draft, which got good discussion on the
   list. There was a reasonable amount of give-and-take, and the WG Last
   Call was uncontentious. A significant point was brought up during IETF
   Last Call, and was added to the Security Considerations."

Personnel

    Paul Hoffman (IPsecME WG co-chair) is the document shepherd and Kathleen Moriarty is the
    responsible AD.