[Swan-dev] [Swan-commit] Changes to ref refs/heads/master

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Mar 29 21:02:36 EET 2014

On Sat, Mar 29, 2014 at 01:54:50PM -0400, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Mar 2014, Tuomo Soini wrote:
>
> >Uncrustify did wrong in these cases. It was supposed to use tabs only
> >but it used tabs and spaces. First one is wrong if it includes use of
> >spaces for indent. Tabs should be used and match as near as possible
> >with tabs. And no, I'm not perfect either with these. But those I tried
> >to fix included spaces for indent which is wrong.
>
> So I used tabs+spaces because I thought that's what the new style was.
> I thought it pretty annoying so I'm happy to stop doing so and stick
> with just tabs.

I thought it was decided to use Linux kernel style, but maybe I am
thinking of a different discussion.

Certainly the kernel seems to use tabs and a few spaces (if needed)
to make function declarations line up, such as:

void ext4_journal_abort_handle(const char *caller, unsigned int line,
			       const char *err_fn, struct buffer_head *bh,
			       handle_t *handle, int err)
{

For functions calls, the continuation seems to be just indented with
one extra tab, but in other cases (like here), it uses the same tab +
up to 7 spaces to line up.

	printk(KERN_ERR "EXT4-fs: %s:%d: aborting transaction: %s in %s\n",
	       caller, line, errstr, err_fn);

	jbd2_journal_abort_handle(handle);

And tabs are always assumed to be 8 characters.  If you set your editor
to something else, then it is your problem when things don't align. :)

After all if you just cat the file, then it will look right unless your
terminal is fucked up.

--
Len Sorensen