[Swan-dev] redirection in swan-install

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Sun Mar 9 06:22:33 EET 2014

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> | The build and install are separate because if you are using OBJDIR on a
> | p9 fs "make programs module" once and install install_module multiple
> | times.
>
> The way it came to my system, OBJDIR is on /tmp (tmpfs) for speed.
>
> The documented procedure was:
>
> on one machine: swan-update
> on each other machine: swan-install
>
> That didn't work.

Yeah, that was based on the removal of OBJDIR in /tmp/ which is almost
never useful because after install and starting the first test, your
lose everything in /tmp and you no longer have the debug files needed
to track things. So when I wrote those instructions, I had assumed
that no OBJDIR was specified in the swan-* scripts.

> Should I check these in?

Perhaps with an OBJDIR=${OBJDIR} or something? so Antony can set it to
/tmp and others can just do the compile once and install everwhere
trick?