[Swan-dev] ipsec.conf version specificaton

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Sun Jun 22 19:50:56 EEST 2014

Man page change:
-The first significant line of the file must specify the version of this specification that it conforms to:
+The first significant line of the file may specify a version of this specification for backwards compatibility with freeswan and openswan\&. It is ignored and unused\&. For compatibility with openswan, specify:

I think that it is a serious mistake to decommit from the version
specification in ipsec.conf

In FreeS/WAN, we went through a bit of agony to introduce it.

Once we introduced it, it was a way to allow new config file features that
would break old ones.  FreeS/WAN code could know when to use the old rules
or the new ones, based on this option.

Backward compatablility is such a straighjacket.  This is one way to
break out of it.