[Swan-dev] testing: swan-update diagnostings

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Tue Feb 25 05:22:15 EET 2014

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> - is it right to build this stuff as root?  It goes against my religion.

There is really no other user. Requiring sudo within the machine seems
silly when all actions you take except "make programs" require root.

> - is a make clean needed first?

Nope, that should not be needed.

> Here's the output so far.  The last 5 lines worry me.  But the
> swan-update has not stopped.
>
> [root at west ~]# swan-update
> /source/lib/libswan/udpfromto.c:184:12: warning: \342\200\230sendfromto\342\200\231 defined but not used [-Wunuse!
> static int sendfromto(int s, void *buf, size_t len, int flags,

that's one you had marked for removal before.

> In file included from /source/lib/libipsecconf/confread.c:46:0:
> /source/include/ipsecconf/parser.h:22:49: fatal error: parser.tab.h: No such file or directory
> #include "parser.tab.h" /* generated by bison */

Those sometimes end up in a wrong directory. The generated files
_should_ be in the OBJ* directory, but I suspect "make check" on the
host can cause those files to appear in the actual non-OBJ directory.
Which then interferes with building using an OBJ directory on the guest.

If you do a "git status" you might see those files as "untracked files".
Deleting those probably will fix your issue.