[Swan-dev] spacers in flag names: - or _?

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Mon Apr 14 20:59:35 EEST 2014

On Mon, 14 Apr 2014, D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

> Most flags that need a spacer use "-".  Some newer ones use "_".  This
> is confusing and non-standard.
>
> I checked the pluto flags (not whack or anything else)
> - 43 use "-"
> - 10 use "_"
> - debug-nat_t is in both counts.
>
> I think that "normal" programs use "-".
>
> I propose that all spacers within flags be "-".
>
> Here's what would change:
>    leak_detective
>    force_busy
>    ipsec_dir
>    nat_traversal
>    keep_alive  <<== should agree
>    force_keepalive  <== on spelling of keep alive
>    disable_port_floating
>    debug-nat_t
>    virtual_private
>    secctx_attr_value

This comes from matching the pluto arguments with the keywords. The
keywords don't use "-", they all use "_" and we cannot really change
that. I would be hesitant to rename these options because people on
embedded systems not using our scripts will be using these options
hardcoded.

I'm fine with changing leak_detective to leak-detective, as it can
never be a config option anyway and we haven't released it yet in
any version.