[Swan-dev] idea for libreswan LTS

Paul Wouters pwouters at redhat.com
Tue Feb 12 22:56:52 EET 2013

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013, David Clayton wrote:

> I don't know it it is appropriate to the Swan development, but perhaps it
> would be worth considering the addition of an extra .point into the version
> number to aid clarification, with LO as an example 3.6.5 is defined as
> stable, whereas 4.0.0 is considered bleeding edge - I feel the current
> 'patch' number doesn't provide the end user with enough information to see if
> it is a new feature or a fix release.

We had the extra point with openswan, and it did not really help us. If
anything, it just kept people much longer on openswan 2.4.x then they
should have been when openswan 2.6.x came out.

So the idea now was to just do 3.x releases until we do a 4.0. With the
regression test suite being used, everyone should really upgrade to the
latest 3.x release.

At least, that's the plan for now.....